As part of the Black History Month activities, Robla School District and the Roberts Family Development Center are inviting 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students to participate in the 2023 Black History Essay Competition.
Key pieces of information:
1) Deadline: The deadline to submit the essay is Thursday, February 16th. Students will submit their essays to their teacher.
2) Requirements & Format: Students are asked to choose one of the African American heroes listed on the back of the flier, research the person, use the information they discover to write an essay that explains: 1) why this person is important to history and 2) how this person inspires them. The essay should be the student's original work, and free from spelling and grammatical errors.
- 200-400 word limit; 12-pt. Times New Roman font, double spaced, number each page (bottom center)
- On the back of each page: student's first and last name, their teacher's name, school site, and grade level.
3) Prizes: 3rd Place: $25; 2nd Place: $50;1st Place $100. Winning students will be recognized at an assembly (date TBD).
We hope that our 4th-6th grade students will take advantage of this opportunity to engage in this meaningful research and writing project!